Friday, December 16, 2005

Last few days

I say!

I have been rather tardy in posting to this blog over the last few days. Unfortunately, Mrs M has been down with the 'flu, though thankfully she is almost fully recovered now.

When one feels one is coming down with the 'flu hereabouts, there is always a slight concern that it might be malaria. The initial symptoms are very similar. Malaria is still the biggest killer out of all diseases in the world, and it is unfortunately prevalent in these climes. We all know of losses.

My own preventative remedy is to add a generous amount of 'T' to the 'MGT', as I understand tonic contains quinine. It is no surprise that a stiff G&T has been the tipple of choice amongst expats for generations.

What with all of the rain we've been having, there are many more mosquitoes than usual, but one can't complain, as it is excellent for the gardens.

We have also been preparing for Christmas. There was a rumour in Sir Harry's about a temporary availability of turkeys. I cannot say any more, but I immediately acted, and the freezer is stocked!

It seems inappropriate to purchase Christmas baubles and suchlike decorations from the slender selection available at Kandodo, given that this, in effect, uses up good foreign exchange for which there are much more worthy causes hereabouts, and they are frightfully expensive as well. So, Doviko and myself have been creative with some origami Christmas decoration instructions we discovered on the net. I will hopefully post some snaps of our wonderful paper angels and stars.

In the meantime, I discovered in my cache some snaps taken down in the Elephant Marsh, in the Lower Shire, a while back, which are reproduced below.


The second one shows the method the locals employ to catch fish.



Mrs M can be seen in the prow of the mokoro of the last one.

MM III

3 Comments:

Blogger Hotboy said...

Mingin! What fabulous photies! I'm glad you're getting plenty of rain as well. Hotboy

10:17 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

My best wishes for an expeditious recovery to Mrs M, and one hopes the black market turkeys are avian-flu-free.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I am glad Mrs. M is feeling better. As usual, those are fabulous pictures. I always enjoy them.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home