Friday, October 20, 2006

"Like a virgin"

I say!

I've been rather busy recently attending to functions associated with the visit hereabouts of Guy Ritchie and his adorable wife. What a social round its been! Mrs M has been extremely busy as well, and has much enjoyed the various events.

Interest in the visit has obviously perculated to the staff. I even overheard Cabbage the other day, whilst slashing the outfield which had become quite overgrown, singing "Like a virgin" to himself, in time to his cutting motions. I must say, Cabbage appears to be completely tone-deaf, and he did no justice to the original version.

What a nice chap Guy is! We enjoyed some time, some Greens and some MGTs together at the Government Hostel (will I ever get used to calling it the Hotel Masongola?) one evening, and I must say, he is a font of knowledge about the motion picture industry, Holywood, and such like.

Now, here's a thing. What with his inside knowledge, he reliably informed me that he'd seen an early draft of the screenplay for the 1968 motion picture "2001: A Space Odyssey" which happens to be one of my favourites. According to Guy, the original intention was to produce a film of a somewhat different genre to that which was eventually released.

You will remember one of the early scenes in the film - where the cave-man has discovered the first tool, a bone, and he throws it in the air with glee. As the bone turns over and over in the air, it gradually moves to slow motion and then transforms into a spaceship.

Well, Guy told me that in the early draft, the bone transforms into...a cricket bat! And that the film was originally going to be entitled "2001: The Ashes Tour" and be a futuristic look at a Test Series which was, at the time, 33 years in the future.

Well, I ask you! We'd been discussing my theories about cricket originating in Neolithic times, and he'd 'had a few' by the time we discussed this particular matter. I think he was pulling my leg.

What do you think?

MM III

10 Comments:

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Surely if Cabbage is tone-deaf, he would give a faithful rendition of the original version.

Guy could have a point. Hotboy informs me that cricket is indeed a Neolithic activity.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Totally on the ball! The Ashes Tour has an almost bibical resonance and could not have failed to better ... I can't understand films. Was it about big planks of wood floating about space. Were they supposed to be from the Ark? I liked the Hal bit! But The Ashes Tour! Very good! Ten points! Hotboy

10:24 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I think it is fun and cool that you were at the functions with Guy and Madonna.
It sounds as if you had a wonderful time.
Have a wonderful weekend!
~xo

9:51 PM  
Blogger ion said...

Any thing connected with cabbages is good with me. Work in rasps too and it's a cert. Blank response to cricket or any other kind of ball game.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Have you ever thought of adopting anyone? You should if you've got pots of money. I would like to offer myself for adoption. I could come to the bongo bongo and live in a hut. This is a genuine offer. Hotboy

2:57 PM  
Blogger FortuneCookie said...

And I thot Cricket was Jamaican!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

Wow, aren't you the popular one....spending your days with Guy and Madonna or just Guy but wow nonetheless!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I love that song! I especially like the version they do in Moulin Rouge

7:19 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Have a wonderful weekend!
~xo

10:54 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Menzies, I think I speak for all us commenters when I say we're waiting for your considered response re Cabbage, adoption, cricket etc. Have a good weekend.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home