Monday, August 14, 2006

Too close to the sun

I say!

Interminable delays in airport lounges have given me the opportunity to complete a most wonderful book, which I highly recommend to anyone who might visit this blog.

"Too close to the sun: the life and times of Denys Finch Hatton" by Sara Wheeler. What a delightful read!

I must firstly say that the author, Sara Wheeler, is rather attractively handsome. And can she write!

Here are a few short extracts:

"They took off in radiant good weather. Around Takunga the fields rippled with high spiky leaves that looked like the tops of giant pineapples. The sisal had just poled, and a tall stick-like growth shot up from the heart of each plant. From the air the neat rows ran across the land like green corduroy"

"They were living in different mental worlds, as unhappy lovers do, coexisting like the twin beaters of a rotary whisk, spinning in time but never touching."

"The hawthorns were crimsoned with haws and the weak sun circled with a ruff of lavender cloud as beaters drove the pheasants out of Evedon Wood."

I say! Rather good, what?

The book is essentially a biography of Denys Finch Hatton. Karen Blixen wrote about her love affair with him, and she and he were portrayed respectively by Meryl Streep and Robert Redford in the Oscar winning film 'Out of Africa'.

Despite the fact that he crashed his Gypsy Moth into the Voi hills, in south east Kenya, over seventy years ago, I know from experience that, even today, if one mentions in passing 'Denys' at the dinner table of any family with roots still residing in the Ngong Hills, one will immediately be met with recognition for a gentleman who, despite never occupying any official capacity and being merely an adventurer, holds a unique place in the history of BEA and the hearts of its inhabitants.

Of course, several of those who are mentioned in Wheeler's tome were still alive and known to my dear Paw Paw, many years later.

I'm delighted to report that Finch Hatton's camp continues today the tradition of opulence.

I wish I could post a copy of the photograph of Henry Finch Hatton, the 13th Earl of Winchilsea, as featured in "too close to the sun", as it has been remarked that I bear an uncanny likelness to him.

I note in passing that Wheeler has also authored a book which might be relevant to HotBoy and Rob McJ - Terra Incognita, Travels in Antarctica.

MM III

4 Comments:

Blogger Lee Ann said...

I would like to see your photo posted next to Henry Finch Hatton, that is the true way to make the decision!
Hope your travels are going well.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Mingin! "They were living in different mental worlds, as unhappy lovers do, coexisting like the twin beaters of a rotary whisk, spinning in time but never touching."

Mnnn? Yes, very good, but what is a rotary whisk? It is one of them things for keeping the flies off? Is it a rotary club thing? Hows about:

"Spinning in time but never touching, they were living in different worlds, as unhappy lovers do."
I'm telling you! I haven't lost it. No way!
How's about:

On the occasion of my fortieth birthday, she handed me the rotary whisk, said beat that, and I knew then she'd found a new friend.
Hotboy

10:38 AM  
Blogger zomba said...

I say!

Lee Ann read to the end of my post. How nice.

Yes, HotBoy, the last one is definitely a winner. Have you thought about opening your next book with that line?

MM III

10:50 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

I didn't know Denys flew with BEA (now BA). They must have veered off course.

PS - apols re my absence, but my Bloglines kept telling me there were no new posts here. I think I've fixed it now.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home