Friday, November 17, 2006

Did the vikings play with a straight bat?

I say!

I've heard some people suggest that the vikings won the cricket world cup in 1007 AD. This is, of course, nonsense. There was no cricket world cup in 1007. Whether the vikings played cricket at all is another question, and for my own part, I have so far found no evidence.

I asked this viking, whom I met in a bar in Stromness, in the Orkney Islands, earlier this year, whether he was familiar with the game:



His answer was in the negative. In any case, his bat would be deemed illegal by any discerning umpire.

Vikings are still quite common in the Orkney Islands. In another bar, I asked some more the same question.


They too had not heard of the game.




Late on, after a lovely meal in the Scapa Flow Restaurant and prodigious amounts of wine, when some giants appeared in the bar (they too seem to be quite common thereabouts), it all got too much for me, and I could not press the correct buttons on my camera.

MM III



4 Comments:

Blogger Hotboy said...

Mingin'! I wouldn't go into a pub if the customers were allowed to sit around tooled up like that! Hotboy

5:34 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

The vikings were originally basketballers. Hence the gigantism.

8:59 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

MM - is there no limit to the cricket in your life? You might have got on well with Nobis, a late friend of mine.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Pub...looks fun!
I was going to wish you a happy Thanksgiving like I did with hotboy and Rob, but you guys don't have that holiday do you? silly me!
Have a great weekend!

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home