Saturday, March 11, 2006

Aberdares

I say!

How wonderful it is that people from other countries are visiting this blog. It warms the cockles.

Here is a snap of Mrs M in her lovely safari dress, which we bought especially so that we could keep up appearances for our visit to the Aberdare Country Club, which I mentioned in my last post. The Club is in the background, and one can see what a delightful vista there is from the khondi. Used to be forest all around in those parts, in the days of my dear Papa. Some misplaced Boers helped to clear it. In those days, a forest clearing workforce could number several hundred.



The next snap was taken from our hotel window in Lamu, looking down on the market beside the old fort. The fort served as a prison for many a year, but is now a world heritage site. I once attended a wonderful lecture and slide show, given by Richard Leakey, in the grounds.



Below is a snap of some buffalo, enjoying the salt lick at The Ark. I must retrieve some more wildlife snaps from my collection, because animals are the essence of the African experience. Lone buffalo are very dangerous, but if found in a herd, are normally relatively docile. A pride of lions can take down a buffalo, though often the hunt is aborted.



MM III

3 Comments:

Blogger Hotboy said...

Mingin! Great post as usual! Do you know the difference, if any, between an indian buffalo and an African buffalo. Indian buffalos work. I know the difference between a bison and a bongo. If you're the Queen, you can wash yourself in a bison! Hotboy

8:33 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

G'day Menzies. The grass in your garden looks like the lawns here in UnHeardovia, drier than a dead dingo's oxter.

Re the flight in the 4-seater. I had a holiday job as a bounty-hunter. There was a rumour that Spud was hiding out down at Albany after the incident with the autoteller in Perth.

So when I got the offer of the jaunt from Perth, I jumped at it. I didn't see Spud, but my second flying lesson on the way home involved night flying on instruments. I'd never do it again.

1:28 PM  
Blogger zomba said...

I say Carslemane!

How exciting! I shall look forwards to watching the TV show - when will it be on satellite?

I say Hotboy!

The main difference between an African buffalo and an Indian buffalo is that the former cannot be domesticated. African buffalo are dangerous wild animals, as one of my previously owned Toyotas can vouch for.

My dear Robmcj!

The Aberdares region receives a reasonable amount of precipitation, but, being at high altitude, the sun can quickly spoil even the best maintained lawn.

I remember my time in Albany well. Nice place. I must look out my snaps of the Murray River.

Night flying in a four seater, eh? What an experience.

MM III

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home