Sunday, October 23, 2005

Something in the garden

Well, I say!

An early night, last night, and everything was very peaceful until about 4am when the dogs wen't berserk.

When I arose, Abdul was waiting for me, and Doviko also. Abdul's English is not very good, and Doviko explained that Abdul believed he had seen a lion closeby before first dawn. This is clearly not possible, the nearaest lions probably being at Kasungu National Park, and I at first put it down to the fact that they must have seen me reading Pat Cavendish O'Neill's book, with a picture of a lion on its cover, but Abdul was clearly shaken, and both Casper and Farley were looking rather sheepish as well.

I showed Abdul pictures of various predators, but this didn't help as he nodded at most of them, and much was obviously lost in translation.

Couldn't find much in the way of spoor, and certainly nothing like this.

Its more likely he saw a baboon or possibly a hyena, which is, nonetheless, rather worrying. I told him that tonight he must keep the dogs on rope, and gave him permission to have a fire all night.

I'll keep alert myself.

MM III

2 Comments:

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Do you have possums over there? That would explain it. We get all the neighbourhood dogs barking at about 4, and usually it's a possum on someone's roof (occasionally mine). If it's a tin roof you can electrify it, but with any luck it will get squashed flat by a car, and your problem will be solved. Everything balances out in the end if you do nothing.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Raacoons, opossum and armadillos get in gardens. Wow! A lion? That would be scary, a hyena or a baboon would be scary as well. Hope all are safe there!

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home