Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Ilala II

I say!

The flights are all booked, and I am very much looking forwards to the next couple of months 'hush hush' tour. However, before I depart I thought I should post the following collection of snaps from a trip Mrs M and myself took up the Lake on the MV Ilala II, a while back, to 'clear the decks', as it were.

It is a wonderful excursion to take, and I fully recommend it if you are ever in the region. The Ilala leaves from Monkey Bay and takes a few days to reach the northern end of Lake Malawi, calling in at some delightful spots on the way, including Nkhotakota and Nkata Bay.



First class accommomodation is excellent and relatively inexpensive, and occupies the top two decks. There are 10 cabins and a dining room, with a distinctive colonial feel to it. The lower deck accommodates about 400 people, who are, it must be said, rather crushed. The above snap shows myself enjoying the upper deck.

The next snap shows the Ilala at berth off Likoma Island.



For some villages on the Lake, the Ilala is their main link with the outside world, so there is always a lot of excitement when it calls.



The launch, returning with more passengers.



The final snap was taken from the hill on Likoma Island.



MM III

4 Comments:

Blogger Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Great photies again! Glad to see the first class passengers are well looked after. Something for us to aspire to, being first class. Hotboy

3:52 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

You always have the most gorgeous photos.
Thank you for sharing!

6:28 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

MM, I trust you and Mrs M are getting on well again after "clearing the decks" on the SS Marriage Guidance. Well done!And you even had time to take photos.

2:32 AM  
Blogger zomba said...

Well I say!

Nice connection, Mr RobMcJ :-)

Thank you for your kind comments, Lee Ann. Always a pleasure, when you drop by.

I referred to clearing the decks of pending snaps before the hush hush world tour.

MM III

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home