Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Leopard in the garden!!

Well, what a to do!

Eveything was pretty quiet last night until first light, when there was a loud knock on the front door. It was Abdul and Doviko, with the news that there was a 'lion' in the garden. Abdul had, thankfully, tied the dogs up by the stove, and they were quiet.

I put on my dressing gown and followed them down to the bottom of the garden. And there, halfway up a tree and looking very scared, was a young leopard! I'd estimate a few months old, and actually it did look slightly like a very small lion.

We did not get too close, because I suddenly thought - what if the mother is also around?

By the time I'd collected my thoughts, something to defend myself with, and a camera, it had gone.

Well - I ask you - we cannot have wild leopards in the garden! I reckon it must have somehow found its way down from the plateau. It was too young to have been alone, so all of this must be reported to the Department of Parks and Wildlife, so that they can come and catch it, and release it safely well away from Kalimbuka.

There have been requests for photographs on this blog, and I have had a word with the 'office' who say that occasional photographs would be in order, as long as they do not reveal locations and such like, and as long nothing current is shown of my good self.

Here, therefore, is a picture I took of Cabbage last year, when the grass was long, at his 'slashing'.




MM III

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home