Saturday, January 14, 2006

African creativity

I say!

There is an impressive amount of ongoing creativity, hereabouts. The snaps below show, firstly, baskets and mats on sale by the roadside just past Mangochi; a lovely model of the Illala - the boat which operates on Lake Malawi, and on which Mrs M and myself have enjoyed various trips (I will hope to post some more snaps later); Mrs M talking to one of the Fathers at Mua Mission; and a closer snap of one of the painted rondavels at Mua.

If you are ever hereabouts, you should not fail to visit the Mission, and especially its cultural museum.

MM III




4 Comments:

Blogger Hotboy said...

Mingin! I really like this blog! These photies are great. The big round carpet thing looks like a mandala! Are the reverends at the mission celibate (catholics?) or are they presbos? Still, great photies! Hotboy

11:39 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Those baskets are great. I love the two bottom pictures. The picture of the bridge leading up to that house ~ is beautiful. I do so appreciate you bringing me over to this part of the world.

1:00 PM  
Blogger zomba said...

I say!

Thank you so much for your kind comments.

Mua was founded by Canadians. They are Catholic.

One of the intentions of Mua Mission is to encourage traditional artistry. Many of the wood carvings there show scenes from village life, and are rather different from the carvings churned out for tourists. We acquired two delightful carvings - a stool in the shape of a fish, and another one depicting an Ngoni hunter with his catch.

I founds a website with these wonderful murals painted at the Mission. There is also a Wikipedia entry.

MM III

3:10 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

With my naval background I of course liked the the boat/basket best.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home