Friday, June 09, 2006

Edinburgh!

Well I say!

Here I am in Edinburgh, and I must say, its wonderful to be back! I'm trying to get used to paying £5 for a packet of twenty cigarettes, and then not being able to smoke them in bars, but one cannot ask for everything. My goodness, Abdul's weekly wage envelope would only buy him 40 smokoes here.

Edinburgh is SO refreshing. One minute a bracing wind, the next glorious sunshine. It gets light here at 5am (and I arise at that time just to make sure), and does not darken until 'cowboy time' (ten to ten - or rather t'arentoten t'arentoten).

Now, before I show my latest snaps of wonderful Edinburgh, and in the realisation that one cannot avoid football at the present time, an item from the Daily Torygraph on Thursday reported that "Scots who want England to fail in the World Cup suffer from low self-esteem and a deep-rooted inferiority complex" acording to Glasgow medic Dr Alex Yellowlees. I wonder what dear old Hotboy would make of that. Is he supporting England?

I must ask him soon, when we meet up, once again. He has promised me an interview at his hut, and to be:
  • sober
  • stand on his head ('heid')
  • be in the lotus position
  • enlighten me about 'Rabliss'
I shall hopefully reveal all, later this week, in a video account.

Here is a snap taken looking towards Edinburgh Castle, from the Royal Mile. Unfortunately, it was raining at the time, but one can still see how attractive the setting is.



Edinburgh is changing, with a whole host of construction programmes. I wonder if ex-residents such as Mr RobMcJ would recognise where this snap was taken from. The Castle features in the background.



I shall have fun with the next two snaps. Everywhere one perambulates in central Edinburgh, one finds statues of cows. I've no idea why. I shall tell my Samburu friends the next time I'm in Kenya that the following show the real Edinburgh cattle culture.





I rather like the one above, which features Africa. They shall ask me if the cow blood tastes good.

Whilst in Edinburgh, I have been taking advantage of the wonderful array of cultural events, such as the Leith festival. The next snap was taken the other night at a musical event. It features a very talented local band called Danny Cockroach. I shall post a short video clip of this band in action, as soon as Google Video has 'verified' it. As you can se, their drummer is obviously a Martian.



I shall have more fun with the next one. Doviko will ask me what it is. I shall tell him that the ground is so fertile in Edinburgh that they can grow buildings. I can be SO cruel.



MM III

4 Comments:

Blogger keda said...

what a fabulous trip. i love that fags are so expensive over there. if i still lived there it would be much easier to be healthy lung wise.

the lets loved the cows.

i'll lsten to the cockroacxhes a little later, i've gotta help build a camp under the dining table right now.

11:31 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

MM - Iposted a long comment, just to have it discarded by blogger.

Sorry.

4:36 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

The gist was that Aussies suffer the same chip on the shoulder as the Scots, re the English. You're lucky to be African (congrats re Angola's decent performance against their former colonial masters).

And that the pink building is possibly the Pollok Halls after the cconstruction of an extra floor and a faux roof, and transplantation a few miles West. Right?

I'm still enjoying the band video (the live one doesn't do them justice)

4:38 PM  
Blogger zomba said...

I say!

Yes, there are cow statues everywhere in Edinburgh, these days.

Mr RobMcj - no, its not Pollock Halls. Its a new construction, somewhere between Stockbridge and Leith, to the north of Cannonmills. I have some more snaps taken from Arthur's Seat, which show even more construction, which I hope to post. Leith looks like Sydney, nowadays.

MM III

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home