Thursday, October 27, 2005

Good sleep

What an excellent night's sleep we had last night, in the knowledge that we were guarded by not only Abdul and the dogs, but also an armed hunter!

There was no sighting.

I am impressed with Prince. He took me a little way into the bush where he'd found quite clear spoor of an adult leopard. He believes that she has decended from the plateau either because of the dryness making it difficult to hunt, or because of an over-amorous male. He also showed me marks which he said were made by a young leopard, but I could not discern them myself.

We lost two balls today. I hit two excellent sixes off Doviko's round-the-wicket. The second was a straight drive that Freddie Flintoff would have been proud of. It sailed far into the distance, but no one was prepared to look for it in the bush, in case the leopard was around.

I discussed the shooting of the animal with Prince. He is adamant that capture is not an option, and shrugged his shoulders when I mentioned the cub.

At Sir Harry's this lunchtime opinion was divided. The old hands all agreed that a kill was necessary. Those who had not been hereabouts for so long, including a couple of Peace Corps volunteers over from Chiradzulu, were keen to explore capture options.

Cabbage has offered to make a cage out of bamboo for the cub, in the case that it is captured, though what we would do with it is another question.

MM III

5 Comments:

Blogger zomba said...

Mr Edwards,

Did we meet once in the Eastern Cape?

MM III

1:36 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

MM - profuse apologies re the accident at my place. I tried to recover the data from the depths of the hard drive, but there was no trace. Typical! Yet computers manage to preserve multiple copies of anything embarrassing or compromising, even when you think you've deleted it. How can that be?

3:12 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Menzies! Great news!

I have found your 7s comment, and replaced it. I couldn't get the links to copy across, perhaps they were too rude.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Mingin! Why can't they just shout: Go away, leopard! There are no parties here! I always worked with me. Hotboy

2:36 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

MM - I tried to access http://photo.agiweb.org/ to see what else they know about the brewery, but the pages don't work for me. I take it you have special access through your contacts at Sir Harry's. Say no more.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home