Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Prince, the hunter

Well, I say!

The Department of Parks and Wildlife responded with impressive speed. They have sent a young chap called Prince to help us out with our leopard. Spent a delightful afternoon chatting to him about the old times. The only problem is that he has been sent to shoot the leopard.









I took this photograph of Prince outside the back door.

Shooting the leopard is not what I was expecting. Though I 'bagged' many prime examples of the Big Five in my hayday, I thankfully put all that behind me some time ago.

I rather expected that the Department would capture the creature, and release it in Lengwe or Kasungu, but it appears that this is unfortunately not possible. Not enough resources - in fact, Prince caught the bus here from Blantyre. They are in any case not keen on having leopards in Lengwe, and according to Prince, there are plenty of leopards in any case!

Apparently, the leopard - and I assume it was the mother, rather than the one we saw yesterday - took a goat in a nearby village the other day, and the Department sees its demise as an exercise in public relations.

Whatever. Prince is charming, and seems to know his business, so I'll leave it up to him. He has based himself in our garden, and I've asked Doviko to provide food for him. Abdul has been given strict orders to keep the dogs under control and on ropes.

MM III

5 Comments:

Blogger Hotboy said...

Mingin! Nothing disgusting in these last two posts. Great! I'd love to have a leopard up a tree in my back garden. I envy Cabbage the simple life of getting by and getting fed and clothed while forelock tugging. That's what I need to do. A bit of subservience and getting looked after. If he doesn't have to do anything too hard, would you consider me as his apprentice? I am not a communist. Honest. Hotboy

11:16 AM  
Blogger zomba said...

My Dear Hotboy,

Half my staff seem to want to go and work for you, whilst you wish to come and work for me!

Doviko is a gem. Wouldn't swap him. Cabbage has his moments, as well.

If you are interested in employemnet hereabouts, be aware that it involves long hours and relatively (in our terms) low remuneration. Not too much time for meditation, I fear, unless you want to be assistant night-watchman.

More to the point, how would you rate your fielding in the covers? Do you know a "wrong 'un" from a "flipper"? I don't really need a stumper, though having one would keep me from sweeping quite so often.

A good knowledge of the game is a prerequisite for employment at Kalimbuka.

MM III

2:04 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I say! That is incredible. When I lived in South Florida, I had a 10 foot alligator in my backyard ~ that was wild.
I would love to see the leopard, I bet it is beautiful.

3:51 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

I can let doviko have my recipe for stir-fry leopard. He can pick it up with the tag at my place.

10:28 PM  
Blogger zomba said...

My Dear Lee Ann,

An alligator! My goodness.

The crocodiles in most parts of Africa are surprisingly timid. They will sense you walking along a riverbank from some distance, and slip back into the water.

An exception is in the upper reaches of the Nile.

You're usually safe crossing a river as long as you can see the bottom clearly. Each year they take some people in the Shire.

MM III

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home